World Health Day celebrates global health awareness. This year, on 7th April – in the midst of a pandemic, it provides a good opportunity to remind ourselves that healthy minds are just as important as healthy bodies.
COVID-19 has challenged us all in ways we never expected – far beyond the impact of the virus itself. You are not alone experiencing anxiety and stress about health, lifestyle changes and social isolation.
Research has proven that regularly engaging in activities that give you a sense of pleasure, achievement, and connection is one of the best things you can do for your mental health.Here is just a few of the great Canberra-specific out-of-the-box activities you can do to keep your mind in shape:
- Take a walk through the gardens of the National Arboretum Canberra or the Sculpture Garden at the National Gallery of Australia
- Go for a hike on the Canberra Centenary Trail northern and southern loops to truly isolate
- Keep an eye out for Floriade Re-imagined
- Take part in a digital Intergenerational Playgroup event
- Enrol in online music lessons with local musicians
- Try some free online yoga and workouts
- Join Marymead Autism Centre’s Lego Group online
- Go Geocaching for some exercise
- Support local restaurants by using a local delivery app… better still, have your friends order the same and host a video call dinner party
- Find a Meetup group in Canberra to attend online events with the right people by your side
If you’re in need of professional support, give us a call to book an appointment with one of our psychologists who are skilled and up-to-date on the best ways to assist individuals and families through this difficult time.